Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Ah, Posture

This is my second week of actually bowing the violin and I must say I've learned loads... some by accident and some with reading n such.

My tone seems to have improved and I've gained more control of the bow, thus there's not nearly as much "bouncing" and "scrapping" when I practice. Of course there's still A LOT - just not as bad. A few major things that I've been trying to focus on this week: better control while bowing at the tip, unintentionally touching other strings, and posture... good ole posture.

While browsing the net for info on muscles involved in playing the violin I came across a book on posture: How Muscles Learn: Teaching Violin With The Body In Mind by Susan Kempter. It's a brief read (96 pgs) and it seemed pretty informative, from the few pages that I've read. I tried to change a few things in my stance and the angle of my neck - boy did that help! ...My current chinrest isn't as uncomfortable as I thought... it was me the whole time. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment